Thursday, June 9, 2016

May 16, 2016 - Tendinitis, Two Miracle Baptisms, and Four New Investigators!

Hello everyone! I hope you all had a fantastic week! WE SURE DID! :D Seriously, it was a great week this week. We saw some AWESOME things happen. I don't have very many photos this week because I left my camera at our Ward Mission Leader's House on Tuesday and then they went camping so I didn't have it until Saturday. I took two selfies for your enjoyment though. :) On Monday we got to see C.! It was a great lesson, and we also moved his baptismal date to June 8th, provided the Stake President can be there (That's who C. wants to baptized him, President H.). So as long as President can be there, I get to see someone baptized the day before I go home! That's pretty cool. :) I'm a lucky guy.

Not a whole lot happened on Tuesday. My left foot started to hurt and ache a little bit (this becomes important later), and I had Strawberry Rhubarb Pie for the first time in my life! It was actually really really really good! Very tart. But also sweet. Anyway!

Wednesday we did service at the Soup Opera as usual! It was fun. The ladies there are really funny. Later that day we were also able to pick up a New Investigator! His name is Cu. He's a former investigator of around a year ago, and when we went and knocked on his door, he let us right in! He's super elect and interested, too! It was a really cool experience. We taught him the Restoration and invited him to be baptized! Really cool experience. We also tracted into this guy who is very Catholic and wanted to tell us so. :) He's very proud of the company he works for. Apparently they build wells in Bolivia. What nice guys. He asked, "the second richest corporation in the world is the Mormon Church, but what do they do with that money? Do they help the poor and those in need? Why don't they help these people?" I just smiled. 

Thursday was a great day! Happy Birthday to my awesome uncle Hank! He's OLD! On Thursday we walked. A lot. Like, it was bad. I guess what was bad was that I didn't drink nearly enough water. Neither of us did. Put ourselves through mild heat exhaustion. My body was a little more used to the humidity than Elder Casey's was, so it hit him a little harder than it did me. We turned in a half hour early and I called people and scheduled things while he took a cold shower and got comfortable. Earlier that day though we picked up a New Investigator named J.! He was a referral from the sisters from forever ago, and we finally were able to contact him after months of him not being home! Elder Casey taught him the Restoration while I distracted his mom who kept interrupting with stuff. :) Also, my foot had gotten progressively worse up to this point to the point where I actually had a limp! So I finally figured I'd do something about it (typcial boy, I know) and Dr. Brower (our mission doc) said that I have Tendinitis! Lame. I was told to pop the Aleve twice a day and call him back if it didn't get any better (thankfully it's gone now).

On Friday we were blessed to pick up M., a New Investigator who was a referral from the sisters from a few weeks ago. She's a funny lady. We were able to go see her with Brother M., our Elders Quorum President, we were also supposed to see her and her husband, but his health is bad and he was asleep, so we taught really briefly out on the porch and left her with a pamphlet and Book of Mormon. What a great experience! We also ate dinner with D., a member who lives 30 seconds away from us. We placed a Book of Mormon with his little brother who isn't a member. Maybe something cool will happen there!

The weekend went really well! Saturday we were able to teach Th. real briefly. He's a great guy, but just can't catch a vision of why he needs the gospel in his life. He thinks of our meeting more as therapy for his anger issues and if he would just READ he'd be AWESOME. Oh well, it will come in time. We also contacted the H family, two former investigators whosw health is not doing very well. Their hospice worker had stopped us a few days before and asked us to go over there to visit them, because, "they liked it when the Mormons used to come by." So we did! They're a nice family. Going back this week sometime. We also had the great opportunity to eat delicious tacos at the Hicks and enjoy talking with them! That night we got caught in a rain storm super far away from our car, so we quickly returned, but not in time. Alas, my hair was DESTROYED. I was beside myself. But then I got over it.

Sunday! We were able to teach M. again, and we were also able to teach her with her husband P.! Brother M. came with us again, and it went really well! They are very friendly. They are very happy with their church, so we'll encourage them to read the Book of Mormon and see what happens. He's also very talkative, and so is Brother M., so we didn't get to teach hardly anything, but we got just enough I think to prick his curiosity. After that we ate at the C.! They made some delicious Italian Dressing Chicken. Mmmmmm.

So let me tell you about these two miracle baptisms! So we had a part-member family in our ward, the L.'s, E. is a member, his wife M. and his stepson A. were not. Five or Six weeks ago she finally got to a point in her studies of wanting to join the church after two years of being married to E. So we were in the process of setting things up, and we finally got an appointment set for Wednesday the 4th of May (best day). Unfortunately, E.'s mom, out in Utah, got rapidly worse in her health and the doctors couldn't do anything more for her. So unfortunately that Wednesday they got an emergency flight out to Utah (all 3, M.'s younger daughter stayed home) so E. could say goodbye. While they were out there, M. contacted the sister missionaries in Orem and had them started teaching her. They set a baptismal date for that next Wednesday! 6 days! Isn't that just a miracle? :] After involving President H. (mission counselor, knows them well), President Salisbury, the Orem Mission President, the Orem Sisters, their fellowshippers the V.'s, and really EVERYONE BUT US, they got baptized! They were confirmed right after the baptismal service on Wednesday just to speed things up, and just so everyone out here could participate, they Facetime'd it! How great is that. So thoughtful. So now it's our job to help them learn the gospel, get them to church, and get them to the temple. I can't believe it. So many miracles, wouldn't you say?

:) Thank you everyone for reading! I appreciate it. I love every one of you! Have a wonderful week! See you soon!

Love,
Elder Brax Johnson

No comments: